An International Medical Graduate with USMLE SCORES: Step 1-78, Step 2 CK-79 Pre-Matched in 2008 to an Internal Medicine residency Program (categorical). There were 1700 applicants and only 9 positions, and I got one of them. This is a blog of My Residency Journey: a True Miracle of God

Saturday, April 18, 2009

Day 280 Best Day in Residency !!!!!!


Today was perhaps one of the best days in my residency. After almost a year I finally saw the attending that gave me my first interview here!! The attending that helped me to get one of the spots in the program. It happened while we were in noon conference at 12 pm. I didn't even recognize her. I helped her set up the slide show presentation. Then she turned on the slide show, and her name was on the slide show presentation. I was in a state of quiet shock. I can feel my heart racing fast. I was so elated, (nice word huh? elated? ..lol) I was really happy inside. lol. I thought to myself "I have been looking to thank her an entire year. I turned to one of the 1st years sitting next to me "Thats the attending that gave me the interview." I can almost remember what the interview was like. I remember being in the waiting room. When it was my turn to interview I left the waiting office and saw the Male attending; who seem very cheerful and easy going, I almost regretted not having him for one second, but that all changed when I first saw her. She seem very soft spoken and nice. I remember walking into her office and saying "so how is everything going? Busy day?" She was surprised I think when I asked her this, shesmiled and said "Yeah its pretty busy. Its a lot of work." And we sat down and we started the interview. Needless to say it was one of the best interviews I had ever had. I had about 10-12 offers when I applied that year (2008) This was my second interview. MY first had been at Jamaica hospitla in queens (another memorable interview. I even cried in that interview. They also send me letter stating they would rank me high, but no pre-match). This was my second interview. I never forgot how calm she was and well spoken. She had a nice soft demeanor to her and was very educated, spoke in soft sentences. I really tried to control my emotions and tried to rise to her level. I read a lot of interview books that said you should adapt to the person that interviews you. Try to relate to them on a common level. We really had a good talk. When I left the room and went down stairs, my wife was waiting for me. I told her "wow, that was a good interview" She was like "it was?" I said "that was probably best interview I ever had." ( I had gone to 16 interviews the last 2 years.) Even if I didn't get the spot I would still say it was the best interview I have had. Everything just seem to "click". She asked me during the interview if I had plans to stay in the area. It was a strange question. No one had ever asked me that befor. I told her I would definitely like to stay in the are. I never thought anything of it. But 2 days later I received a pre-match offer in the mail. I went the next day to sign and cancelled my other 9 interviwews. TO this day I framed that letter of the offer -it sits in the office in my apartment. I later came back to the office and wrote her a thank you email. I wanted to buy her a Tiffany gift pen (silver) but the quality was bad(I still plan on buying her something.). I was expecting to see her when I started residency. But that was her last few days their at the program. GO figure. lol. Fate ? Maybe.

Any ways, I was really excited to see her!!! I waited till the lecture finished and till everyone left the room. I think she was kind of surprised to see me. She had a plate of food in her hand. I went up to her and told her "I'm not sure if you remember me. I interviewed here with you last year?" she said "Yeah I remember you. How is it going?" I smiled and said "its been going really good. I just wanted to tell you that I have been looking to talk to you for the last year. They told me you are no longer here, but at the sleep center. " she said "yeah I work at H___ sleep center." I then said "I just wanted to tell you that I wish you all the goodness of Life. From the bottom of my heart. I wish you all the happiness that is possible on earth. You are a very great and special person. I never forgot our conversation. And I wanted to thank you once again from the bottom of my heart. (I think I had few tears in my eyes.)" She was a bit surprised when I said this. She smiled and said "Your welcome." I told her "you really are a special person. Thank you very much. Thank you for giving me this opportunity." I tried not to say too much. I didn't want to scare her. lol. That's what my wife says of me sometimes when I'm grateful to some people. I shook her hand and put my hand on her arm and looked at her and said "thank you." I turned around and as I was walking out she added "Do you like it here?" I turned around and with a smile on my face, and watery eyes "I love it here." I left the room and didn't look back. I wanted her to eat her food. (She still had the plate of food on her hands.) I didn't want to say anything else. It was the end of another great, but short interview. I wanted to remember it like that. overall one of the best days I've ever had here.

God Bless

Dr. Mike

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

When you start a work then you ought to have a knowledge about its quality. If you have no data then you never consider its http://www.road2residency.com/personal-statement-for-pathology-services/ quality. Nevertheless, it is basic to get the information about its quality and got the best contribution to this.

July 12, 2018 at 6:36 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home