An International Medical Graduate with USMLE SCORES: Step 1-78, Step 2 CK-79 Pre-Matched in 2008 to an Internal Medicine residency Program (categorical). There were 1700 applicants and only 9 positions, and I got one of them. This is a blog of My Residency Journey: a True Miracle of God

Friday, April 10, 2009

Day 261 Caught in the Act



Well It was a pretty surprising day today. It was around 2 pm in the afternoon and a patient
had to be discharged and I needed a prescription signed by an attending. The chief resident was
not around, so I went up to the program directors office. I walked into her office and asked her for the paper signed. There was another staff member in the office. She had a strange look in her face, and she was about to say something. But the secretary told her bye and she didn't say what she wanted to. I asked her for the script and right before I was about to leave the room she said "I wanted to thank you for what you wrote." I was like "huh?" she said "I got a letter from the President of the hospital, and I wanted to thank you for what you wrote." I was trying to play it off, and I said "what ?" with a smile. She said "It really meant a lot to me and I wanted to thank you from the bottom of my heart." It seem like she was about to cry. I kind of had the same feeling. It was just real appreciation for the chance she gave me and how good she has been with us. I said something like "I think you deserve it and you are special......etc" It was probably a lame response. But I was speechless I didn't know what to do. I just put my head down. About two weeks ago I decided to write the president and vice president of the hospital (which she probably doesn't know yet.) telling them about her. Telling them that we as residents really apprecited all she has done for us. I will post the letter at the end of this. I'm not sure where I got the idea from, but I figured it would be a nice thing to do. I figured she would really like it.

I have been writing to some of the residents private letters thanking them for all their help that
they have giving me. I have been very surprised by their response. Some of them said they even cried when they read my letters. Since it got such a good response I figured I would keep on writing them. Its amazing the response people get when you tell them how special you think they are.

I guess its a nice feeling to know that someone cares about you, and looks up to you. All in all, a good day. I was a bit embarrassed after she told me that she knew it was me. I had signed the letter pgy1 Internal Medicine. I figured she might not figure it was me, but I guess I got caught. I wanted to keep it anonymous. After I left her office. I had to return in 5 minutes again to ask her for something. I felt a bit wierd. lol. I had to walk down with her so she could sign some papers. As I walked down the hallway with her I turned to her and asked "so how is work going?" She smile and said "work is pretty good, especially with residents like you." I smiled and turned my head and Laughing I told her "I still don't know what your talking about."

God Bless you

Dr.Mike


Below is the letter I sent:

Dr. ________
Vice President, Medical Affairs


I’m writing this personal letter to you because I’m aware that you like to be informed about important patient issues and Health Care practices at ______. I’m a first year Internal Medicine resident that was hired in 2008. And I’m writing this letter on behalf of Dr. ________ (IM program Director) because I feel that you should be aware of the great job she is doing as program director.

I just wanted to say how grateful me and the other residents are with all the hard work that she has done in the program. There have been a lot of positive changes ever since she became program director and we as residents have felt it. For many of us, ______ is our second home, and we feel very honored to be part of your system and Hospital. Dr. _____ as been a huge blessing to this program and hospital. Not only does her leadership inspire us all but she she has a great deal of patience and human qualities that make her stand out from anyone I’ve ever met. Her demeanor and approach with us is a welcomed change.

She has put together a great team of residents. Her hard work and positive reinforcement makes motivates us daily to be better physicians and persons.

We have all been giving a special privilege in out lives. We have been placed in this planet to make a difference in the lives of those that surround us. Our meaning and existence in life is found in trying to relieves the human suffering that surrounds us. Our meaning It is found in providing quality health care to everyone we can. We all have a purpose. And we could not achieve our life goals without individuals like Dr. _____.

She is like a bright ray of sun on a cloudy day. She is a star amongst the sky. She is part of our lives and our mission on this earth.

I write this letter just so that you would be made aware of the impact she is having at _____. She is to be highly commending for building such a strong health team who sole purpose is to provide the uttomost medical health care at ____.

We also wanted to also say thank you to you. Thank you for Dr. _____ and her Staff. Thank you for giving us the chance to be part of ____. If we have changed lives, if we have help even one person to live life a bit better, if we have helped one person to be able to spent a few more hours of his life we the people he/she loves the most in this world, then all the struggle and difficulties we have faced in life was worth it.

Thank you in advance for your time

PGY 1

Internal Medicine

p.s. (feel free to share this letter)


Another email sent to a resident:


Hi _____

I was really Glad to hear that you won the award no one deserves it better than you. It was really good news to my heart. I can't think of anyone that deserves it more than you. I know that you went through a lot of difficult time last year, amd I think this is God's way of him showing you his goodness. A lof times we ask for strength, and God allows us to be stronger with the trials we face in life. The difficult situations you had last year only helped to make you stronger and to show you God's grace.

Always remember that happiness not only comes from receiving what you want, but also comes from making a positive difference in someones life. And you have and will continue to make a positive difference in all of our lives.

Your passion and goodness inspires us all the time. Very rare in life do people have the opportunity to do what they like and love. I feel that you have been blessed with the desire to better yourself, and others. In all the dark moments of your life God was always with you and did not abandon you. I think now maybe you see that even more.

I wish you the best. Your happiness is my happiness. Your joy my joy. It's good to see people overcome and better themselves. Its good to see the happy moments in the life of someone you care about.

Good luck.
I look forward to working with you the rest of the year.

God Bless

Dr. Mike







0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home