An International Medical Graduate with USMLE SCORES: Step 1-78, Step 2 CK-79 Pre-Matched in 2008 to an Internal Medicine residency Program (categorical). There were 1700 applicants and only 9 positions, and I got one of them. This is a blog of My Residency Journey: a True Miracle of God

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Day 253 Almost Died Today !!!



I almost DIED today. It happen in the e.r when I was called to do an admission. I was in the small resident room writing the orders when I heard the voice of what seemed to come from a young person who screamed "Stop!..... everyone stop!......put everything down now. I'm not playing!" It seemed like he was right outside the door, and he was! He kept on screaming. It sounded like he had a gun or a bomb. I wasnt sure what to do. I figured maybe when he passed by the room that I could just ignore him. For ONCE in my life I wasn't nosy and didn't want to know what was happening. Their were 2 attendings in the room and boy they were scared!! One of them was a female and other was a male attending. I'm sure one of them peed in their pants, but I couldn't smell it. The female attending went to immediately close the door, but she kind of hesitated- not wanting to stick out her head.

I remember thinking "that's it I'm dead..." I really didn't have anytime to think. I stood there frozen (there were no exits in the room. Its like a little closet with 2 computers where we do the admissions.) I was just in a slight state of shock. The scream got close and closer and sure enough there passed a young man being carried by 8 cops and security gaurds and he was screaming like he was on fire "do you see what their doing to me? Let me go? Somebody
HELP!!!"

Boy I was happy to see him! Well you know what I mean. Wow! I was happy to be alive! I laughed. I told the attending' s "I thought he had a bomb and that we were dead." They didn't smile much at that. And for the SECOND time in my life I didn't even bother finding out why he was their. I didn't think it would make much of a story. The fact that I was alive was enough of a story!!

The Er shows on television sometimes shows the crazy stuff I've seen HERE!!! I still remember one of my earlier admissions. I was walking into the e.r with one of the senior residents, and as I walked out of the nurses station. There was a naked woman lying in front of us face down on the floor. And it seemed like nobody noticed or even cared. The senior resident looked at me and she kind of was like "whats going on here? who is this?" While she said this, a few people walked by as if not noticing anything. As we walked closer we could hear one of the nurses walk up to her and say "come one get up. We already told you , that you can't go home." There was a male nurse that tried to cover her up. She smelled like alcohol. And we just kept walking. It was surreal.

I still remember my conversation with an E.R nurse. We were discussing the crisis room- its a place that these types of patients go to when they are hysterical. Its a special room with a camera thats monitored by 2 people. As I walked by the room, he smiled at me and said "Don't walk into that room" I looked at the room and it was empty.

I asked him "why?" He said smiling "trust me, you don't want to go in their."

I think I understand him now.

God bless
DR.Mike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home