An International Medical Graduate with USMLE SCORES: Step 1-78, Step 2 CK-79 Pre-Matched in 2008 to an Internal Medicine residency Program (categorical). There were 1700 applicants and only 9 positions, and I got one of them. This is a blog of My Residency Journey: a True Miracle of God

Sunday, August 3, 2008

Day 41 A message to those who Didn't Match

I can still remember the day following the scramble. It was perhaps one of the most disappointing days of my life. Seemed like all the hard work, all the sweat ,blood, and tears that I had gone through for so many years was all one big waste. Your also left kind of confused and dazed. Your really not sure what just happen. In my second match I had gone to about 9-10 interviewes and had even traveled out of the state. So I was expecting to match. When I received the email from the eras simplying stating: You did not Match, I was almost numb. I coudn't believe it. I just stood there sitting at my computer quiet. Not sure what to do. It was early in the morning too when I found out, and I didn't even have time to think about it much because the scramble was to start soon. So me and my wife stood up all night and day trying to figure out which hospitals we were going to call. The scramble came and went. And it was perhaps one of the toughest days of my life, but however, not all was a waste. The day of the scramble I was invited for one interview at a hospital. I had called them during the scramble, and they had wanted to see me. So me and my wife got dresses and took the car, and went to go see the program. They interviewed me for a few hours. And i think they almost were about to choose me, but at the end it was a NO. I still remember like it was yesterday. It must have been around 7pm at night. My wife was waiting for me in the hallway. The program director saw me and my wife at the end of the night. She said I will call you tomorrow. I had a feeling I didn't get it, but I sensed that she didn't want to tell me right their. And just as we were walking out of the center she said " you know we really debated giving you the spot. We just wished that you had more clinical experience. We have one girl here that had done some clinical externship. you should really look into that. "

Those few words changed my life. After that the next few days. I sat and spoke to my wife and told her "can you believe how close we got. They were gonna take me...unreal.. Now what do we do? I think we have to find one for those externiships. There really is no way out of this." My wife did some snooping around and I did the externship. 8 months later, by God's grace I was signing a pre-match offer. Now, before you run off to those extership places. Let me just tell you that this is my story. Every one is unique, and every program is unique. I was definetly blessed this year when I was able to pre-match. But I don't really credit myself. Their are a few ways to get into residence and I just chose one of them. I'm a big believer in God. I believe that it was my destiny to be a doctor. And if it is your destiny, then nothing will stand in your way. I believe that if it is really your purpose to be a doctor, then you will become a doctor. We all have a path and a destiny. If being a doctor is what you are meant to be, then nothing will stop it. Offcourse this implies that perhaps no all of us are meant to be doctors. However, this doesn't mean you failed at life, or that you are less of a person. You didn't waste all thise years in medical school. Your life can still have purpose and meaning. True happiness and purpose comes from God and comes from spending a life in the service of others. It comes from allowing to be led by God. Wether that means being a doctor or something else. I've only ever wanted to do the will of GOd. I believe that jesus guides my path. And if he does, he will take me to a peacefull place and a happy life. Wether that life is spent being a doctor in care of others or being a janitor. I believed that- I will work the hardest I could, and at the end of all the hard work and effort- if being a doctor is what I'm meant to be, then it will happen. If it doesn't happen, then something else will. Something else that will also give your life purpose and meaning. How else can you
explain some people facing impossible odds, with low scores, hardly a contact, but yet getting a spot. Someone once emailed me and asked, "if it was God's will, then why did you keep on trying. when do u stop trying?" and my response, is what I'm telling you now. I was going to try everything I can, and work the hardest I can. If after all the hardwork, it results in me getting residency- great, if not, then I'll move to do something else that is meaningful and would give my life purpose.

If you have failed year after year getting into residency, then fix your mistakes. try to correct your weaknesses. After you do all that, if it happens that you don't get residency,it doesn't mean you are a failure. At the end of the day you want to go out and give it your all. Give it all you got. If you don't succeed it doesn't mean your a failure. It means that there is another purpose and another meaning out their in the world for you. all your hard work, was not a waste. The knowledge that your learned can still be used in bringing hope and help to others around you. For now, don't give up! Tell yourself "ok, lets do this!! Let me give it all that I have all that I can will." And if you find yourself in pain and hurt, just remeber that you are not alone. God is there with you. YOu only have to call on the name of Jesus. He is their for you. He is their to comfort you.
The pain that life gives can not be eliminated by trying to forget about it, or by trying to intoxicate yourself with something. the bible says that jesus came to heal the broken hearted. Let God mend your broken heart. Fall on the face of Jesus. He will give you life meaning and
purpose and will give you the strength to carry on. Only someone that can read your thoughts and "look" inside your heart can truly understand what you are going through. Perhaps that person is God. Perhaps that person is Jesus. God can give you peace. Peace that is not like the worlds. Lean on God and he will guide you. If you are meant to be a Doctor than ask GOD for guidance and strength. If you don't believe in GOd much, or you really don't believe anything I'm saying then thats fine. But what do you have to lose. God calls those who are in pain and who are weary to come to him. He doesn't judgde. Even is you don't have much faith in God, what does it cost to go to your room and close your door, and get and your knees and pray to GOd and ask for hel and peace. Ask him to help you to deal with this pain you feel of not being a Doctor. The pain you feel that you have failed by not getting residency. OPen your heart. jesus wil not judge you. God can give you peace. He can give you the yearnings of your heart. Keep you head up. You can do this. I say all this because, God has given me peace. When the impossible becomes possible and you start seeing the workings of God in your heart, then your heart will be filled with belief in Jesus and God. Belief that your special and that God hears you. Don't give up my friend !! you can do it!! Study hard keep your head up. Lean on GOd. Jesus Loves you.

God can freely give you Peace. just ask him too.

You are NOT ALone!

Dr.Mike

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This blog is truly a blessing. I am a MSIII who's been experiencing a great deal of anxiety and depression with regard to my second-attempt Step 1 score of 76. I mean, I praise God for the miracle of even passing the exam. But it's like, okay, now the real uphill battle begins. Every query about a low step score is a dismal read. Horror stories abound of those unmatched, etcetera. Then, suddenly, as if to say "Be encouraged" God has directed me to your site.

I really want to be anxious about nothing and by prayer and supplication just turn it over to Him. Somehow, I guess, my faith is just not strong enough. Everyday I am consumed with fear about what lay ahead. If I spend all these years and money only not to match, then what? What keeps me going is that even when I'm unfaithful, God is. He knows the desires of my heart and knew me even before this world.

I'm rambling, I know, but was just so happy to find this site that I couldn't help myself. After weeks upon weeks of responding "I don't know" to pimp questions from attendings, God has kept me. Wow! His favor is awesome.

I pray that He will continue to bless you and your family in your endeavors and that he might pour out a similar blessing for me.

Keep up the good work and give Him all the glory, honor and praise:)

February 25, 2010 at 6:51 PM

 
Anonymous JDor said...

but I sensed that she didn't want to tell me right "their".... Again your "their"s should be "there"

March 7, 2010 at 6:09 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen, brother. Thank you for that, I have been feeling hopeless but came across your blog. Sometimes, God makes those he loves undergo tough challenges to inspire hope to others. Thank you for sharing that hope. God bless you!

November 8, 2014 at 12:40 AM

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amazing post, thank you so much. Interviewing for a match position in 2015 and it's been real nerve-wracking. Hearing words of encouragement from people like you helps immensely! Stay blessed.

December 20, 2014 at 1:43 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, your article is just great! I was looking for some the adorable facility that can help you with the internal medicine residency essay writing and surprisingly found it here on the web. A lot of writers are specializing in academic composing, but the sphere of medicine is completely different and it requires some additional knowledge for the writing. All things considered, this article would definitely help anyone who needs a decent residency essay for the admission. Simply type the name of the paper on the web and you will find all the necessary information to do it.The internet has everything to make our lives simpler

March 23, 2018 at 11:07 AM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home