An International Medical Graduate with USMLE SCORES: Step 1-78, Step 2 CK-79 Pre-Matched in 2008 to an Internal Medicine residency Program (categorical). There were 1700 applicants and only 9 positions, and I got one of them. This is a blog of My Residency Journey: a True Miracle of God

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Day 445 Tips For those That are Frustrated & Anxious About 2009 Match !


I wanted to take this time to give you a brief update of whats going on. sorry that I haven't updated the Blog recently. I have been away from the hospital, doing an Outside Elective in a Cancer Hospital. But I wanted to take this time to address those that have recently applied to the 2009-2010 match that opened on september 1. I wanted to address those that have applied and offer some tips that have helped me in the past. I went through the match about three times, so I understand what many of you are going through. Their are a lot of questions that you might have , and I will try to address them here.

The biggest question I think You all have is:

I just sent out my applicatioons through eras, is there anything I could do now? or How can I get some sleep from the anxiety from waiting on the replies of the programs? or Now what? or How often should I check my email? or Should I call the programs? There are a few things that you can do to ensure that you have done enough to better your chances in this years match.

1. Even thought you have sent your applications, call all the programs again if you can and ask them their criteria and confirm that they recieved our application. (you should have done this initially but it is never too late) It helps sometimes to call these programs, and you get a human voice on the other line. once the secretary tells you the qualifications, tell her that you will sent or have sent the application, and thanked them very much. You just never know if someone on the other line might like you. The secretary at my program screens the applicants all the time. If they hear a friendly voice over the phone, they just at least might take another look at your file.

2. When you recieve rejections from a program, just double check to make sure you didnt make any mistakes. I had some rejectuions in the past because my letters of recomendations were missing on a few applicants. If you made this mistake call them and let them know yrou updating the eras.

3. If you have recently published or recenlty started a clinical externship, send the progam an email letting them know you are starting this and you wanted to let the program be aware. I know a few residents in my program, that had recently published a paper after the eras deadlin and she emailed the program letting them know of this NEW occurance, and she was granted an extra 2 interviews. Programs like to see that you are always improving your CV. But you need to let them know this. A brief short polite message, don't over do it.

4. Find ANY contacts you think you might have. Put your ego aside, and start asking EVERYONE you know who might be involoved in a residency program. Put your ego aside, you never know where it will take you. I got an extra 2 interviews this way. Ask them if they can help you out in ANY capacity.

5. If you have family memebers thos are nurses, janitors or cooks in a hospital, call them and ask them if they can "pick" you up an application for the residency program. A lot of these hospital workers have been in hospitl 10 plus years, you never know hwo they might know. hospitals like keeping it in the family. they don;t necessarily have to be doctors.

6.Go back and Review all the programs that you didnt apply , and see if their are some that you can apply ONLY after calling them directly to see if you qualify.

7.Check your SPAM in the email, I got send an interview once in my spam box !!!

8.make sure you read rejection emails correctly. They wil sometimes tell you what you missed or that your application is incorrect.

9.Value the interviews that you get. Even if it just one. Dress well, talk slow and BE YOUR Self. DOn't try to act like someone you are not. ANd treat everyone you meet with respect. Even the Hospital janitors on the day of interview. And try to learn the names of the people that are interviewing you.

10. And last but not least. try to relax!!! At this point you have done almost everything you can. What more can you do? What matters at the end off all this process is not necessarily an interview or a spot in residency. It is knowing deep down in your heart and sould that you gave it everything you can. that famous "Leave it all on the court" syaing rings true. You have done everything you can. You have spent years preparing for this. Now it is up to destiny it is up to chance, call it whatever you want. what matters in life is that you do everything possibel to achieve your drreams. you have buiklt the boat now just wait for the wind to push you away as destiny sees fit. Your life and mones are all written. I believe you have a destiny. You were meant to read this. You were meant o be where you are now.

You are probably very scared and frustrated. you have borrowed cash to paply to these programs, or you have maxed out yur credit cards. What more can you do? Nothing is the response. You have done everything. you are not a failure. you have achieved alot to get to this point. Passing your usmle. Working 10 years in graud schools. Now it is time for fate to take over. Your job is finished. You do not control the residency porgram directors mind. You cannot force anyone to give you a position. You have odne everything possible. The rejection letters will come. And they will hurt every time you see them. But don't lose heart and don't give up. It doesn't mean you are a failure. It only means that your time in that hopsital was not meant for right now.

If you are reading this you have alrready succeeded in life. You have walked the long journey. you have made it. you have achieved your ecfmg certificate. be proud of that and look back at your life if you doubt your successes. Being a doctor is not the ultimate fulfilment of your life, it is simply a part of it. Living life to its fullest and Livign life as a positive human being that is true success. Loving those that surround you, wether good or bad, that is true success and achievement in life. that has value. At the end of the day ask yourself "Is there more that I could have done? Was their no stone that I did not turn?" If you answer is no, then rest in peace my friend. You are a winnewr in life already. You have not given up. You journey has already begun since the day you started and ended medical school. time spent learning klnowloedge that helps others, is never a waste.

What you do in life doesnt define you. WHo you surround yourself with and who you choose th=o soent your life with, this is what defines your life. True hapiniess uin life is found from living those around you and loving God. sigmund frued was once asked who he preferred to treat "the rich or the poor?" Sigmund freud answered
" I rather treat the rich, because they understand that money can't solve all their problems."

You are now at a crossroads in life. You feel like what will happen in the next few months will determine your future. I would say that it is onlyt partly true. the future is hidding from all of us. Know one can see into the mysteries of the future. Your life has meaning and you were meant for great things in this world. YOu have already succeeded in life. Succeeded in accoplishing medical school. What happens now will happen. Call it fate, or call it guiding by GOd. As a spiritual person I believe are Lifes are guiding by God. And although we still have problems in life and although sometimes its painful and doesnt make sense, I beleive god is their to GOd us through the good times and Especially the BAD ones.

Be at peace today. You have done all that you can. Their is no more you can do but be patient and Let Life and God lead your life. Ifin the next few weeks you feel heart ack and you feel lost, rememeber you will always have a friend. You are not alone in this world. You don't have to bear disapointment alone. God cares for you. Jesus Loves you. Keep your head up. he will walk with you through thises trying times. ALthough their is no explanation for why you did not get the interview you wanted, or the hospital you tried so hard to get accepted too, know that youa re not alone in your pain. GOd sees the heart he can help you bear the pain you feel.

don't Give up !! You can do it !! you are doing it!!

God Bless & good Luck

Dr.Mike

***********************************************
"I asked"

I asked for Strength...
And God gave me Difficulties to make me strong.

I asked for Wisdom...
And God gave me Problems to solve.

I asked for Prosperity...
And God gave me Brain and Brawn to work.

I asked for Courage...
And God gave me Danger to overcome.

I asked for Love...
And God gave me Troubled people to help.

I asked for Favors...
And God gave me Opportunities.

I received nothing I wanted...
I received everything I needed!

**********************************************






0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home