An International Medical Graduate with USMLE SCORES: Step 1-78, Step 2 CK-79 Pre-Matched in 2008 to an Internal Medicine residency Program (categorical). There were 1700 applicants and only 9 positions, and I got one of them. This is a blog of My Residency Journey: a True Miracle of God

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Day 370: First Day with the Interns: Introducing Dr.Harvard

Wow what a day- I would say that today was my official first day working with the interns. I couldn't believe what I stepped into today.

SO basically I decided to go in a bit early to the hospital, since it was my first day, and I wanted to get to know the patients better. I went to the sign out "early". I don't really think it was early because the interns are already their doing the notes. We can usually catch up quickly because you are use to a lot of the clinical scenarios. The problems started when the chief resident called me to take pictures of all the Residents !!! I knew this was not a good way to start because the intern would be left alone and they might feel overwhelmed and get upset. Anyways I went to her office and took the picture of most of the residents, by the time I came back I found the intern. I don't know him very well, but I was about too. Out of all the 10 new interns he and another intern (female) are very overly aggressive. He is aggressive and assertive in another way. He tries to show off that he knows everything, but is still really not sure. I think he wants to prove that he knows a lot, but he is still lost, like we ALL Are when we start. It doesn't matter how much research or your credentials, but everyone is lost and scared in the beginning. And it can be a disadvantage if you are not scared and willing to take direction. He tries to do too much too early, and doesn't really know everything. He still not sure what the consultants are saying, and he doesn't completely know how to do work ups, but he tries to. Its good to see him motivated but he needs to slow down.

I went with him to see one of the patients that we were rounding with. It was the first time I saw the patient, but he tried to kind of show of to me that he knew the patient more than I did. It kind of threw me back a bit. I was caught off guard. Its sometimes not a good idea to show people who think that know everything that you are not sure of something. A lot of times when you start residency you will see that you are more comfortable working with some people than others. You don't want them to put you down. Or they think they know everything, and you don't feel like asking them. Some people are arrogant and tend to reflect a lot of people in their lives. Some of the greatest people I ever met in life were the most humblest and approachable. I enjoyed spending time with them and learning from them. I think that's why I liked so much the third years that left, I loved learning from them and they were very teachable. Most of them were very helpful and I appreciate them for that.

Its too early to tell but hopefully he will turn around.

So basically when I met Dr.Harvard (he did some research at Harvard, so I will call him this.) I spent the entire morning running around and trying to learn about all the patients as fast as I can , before Dr. Harvard "hurts" someone. It was a fast scramble. My wife was calling me all morning and i didn't have time to respond to her.

I tried to be patient and not fight with him. I have a basic rule in residency, don't argue or fight with ANY resident. A lot of people are stressed out, and you might need their help. You will be working with them very very very closely and 80-100 hours week. And you need to get along with them !! SO holding your tongue will profit you in the long run.

Well by 12 o'clock I was patient ans tried to help him out. He was post call, and I wanted to help him leave early. I did about 2 notes for him. (they are allowed only 5) Anyways, so I went to the noon conference and I sat next to my friend- another second year. He told me that he had just completed an admission. I asked him who he did it with. He told me it was with Dr. Harvard. I smiled and turned away. I saw the look on his face. Later on during the day I text him asking him how his admission with Dr. Harvard was. He text me back "lol". I guess he knew what I was talking about. We later met up and talked about it. Seems like he did an admission with Dr.Harvard and he found out how Dr.Harvard was. I told him "I guess Dr.Harvard is ready to do unit admissions and nuero surgery at the same time." He laughed and said that the other female was the same way. (we will call her DR.ICU - since she was a previously an ICU attending 9 years AGO !!) They both are pretty much giving us orders...lol.

Anyways around 1pm. I text superman (who is now doing an infectious disease fellowship) and I text him this- "sorry for fighting and arguing with you as an intern. Now I know what its like.lol. Presidente!" He text me back laughing and I responded back that it was pay back for me. I guess it shows how life is circular and what goes around sometimes goes around.

Anyways, if that wasn't amazing enough. You will b surprised how the day ended. It was around 2pm. And I saw Dr.Harvard still doing notes. I understand what it is to be post call and doing notes. I told him to go home and sleep and not to worry about it. As I went to see another patient of ours and saw him running back to get more charts. I told him "Hi... DR.Harvard I made 2 of your patients non-teaching so don;t worry about them." His eyes lighted up like a Christmas tree and he then grabbed my hand and kissed them !!!! He told me "thank you thank you" in his broken english. I was a bit taken back. I told him "don't worry about it. Its ok"


WOW... can you believe that !!! Not often in life you get thanked by someone with them kissing your hand. I was a bit taken back, but then again I understand his stress and emotion. You feel so overwhelmed some times as an intern. If you are not crying at least once a week, then you are not doing a good job!! I'm serious you feel over whelmed sometimes. Its part of your body adjusting to the times and the work. In 8 months they will be laughing at this. Its not a negative to have a lot of work and situations to deal with. The more you do , the more you get use to it, and it becomes routine.

All in all, it was a great and tough day. I loved teaching the other resident I worked with, after DR.Harvard left. It was a good day. I'm on-call 30 hours with them tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

God Bless
Dr.mike

2 Comments:

Anonymous Dr.Cosmos said...

Hey Mike,

I really love to read your blog.Well...I agree one meets all kinds of people at workplace and its an art to keep oneself balanced in what we say...because it will come round for sure.

i was wondering what happened to that second year (who was fired )about whom you wrote in your blog.Tell us about him.Is is ok?Did he find a second year spot?

July 11, 2009 at 1:08 PM

 
Blogger Dr.Mike PGY4 (Hospitalist/Internist) said...

I have been trying to reach him for about 1 year and he never answers my calls. My guess he is still disapointed in what happen.... what a shame what happen

July 11, 2009 at 8:21 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home