An International Medical Graduate with USMLE SCORES: Step 1-78, Step 2 CK-79 Pre-Matched in 2008 to an Internal Medicine residency Program (categorical). There were 1700 applicants and only 9 positions, and I got one of them. This is a blog of My Residency Journey: a True Miracle of God

Monday, July 6, 2009

Day 369 1st day as a Senior (PGY2)

Well the day we all wished for finally came. good bye to the intern year and hello to the senior. Today was my first day as a senior or second year. I wish I had more to write of what happened that day, but I was in elective, so I didn't get to see what was going on. I spent the day with the radiologist. I got to speak to some of my fellow 2nd years. They seem to be more relaxed. The interns seemed to be doing the running around. the only thing we are stressed with about now, is doing the unit admissions. (the intensive care admissions) Its tough because we don't really know what to expect, and a lot of times the patients are sick with multiple problems, its a lot of fun , but very stressful. So that is what is mostly of the minds of the second years. And on top of that you are running the codes and RRT beeper and AOD...lol. Its just a higher level of responsibility. And supervising the interns.

I kind of dread going back to the unit, because of the experience I have had their in the past. My issue with them has always been the ICU nurses which are very combative at times and tend to give you an attitude. A lot of it stems from the stress, and other of it stems from the fact that they expect you to know everything. they seem to get frustrated when you don't have a fast answer for them. I really try to be as nice as I can, but I get the sense that sometimes they read this the wrong way. they see you very nice and approachable, so you have to be more serious and more assertive. Its hard for me because I tend to have a temper if I'm pushed far enough. sO I try to not get angry and try to stay calm and patient. I think you get more out of people when you are nice to them. Pray for me to have patience.

On another note, it seems that everything has changed. the seniors that left are no longer weith us. Its seems like something is missing. the mood has changed. the climate is not what it is. I was trying to put my finger on what it was, and I realized that the third years were no longer with us. they were like family to us. A lot of them were dependable, and always their if you need it. It was a relaly great group.

but I guess thats part of life. No matter where you go and where you are times will change. the people that surround you will not always be their. I told myself that it would never be as good as it was last year simply because the people will be different.

Its sad part of life when you lose people you care about. I think that happiness sometimes is a measure of the people that surround you. Surround yourself with great and loving people, and it will have an influence you on your life. Granted people are not perfect and they have imperfections, but overall their presence brings brightness to the dullness of life.

I hope now to start dedicating more time to studying for my step 3 and hoping to start soon my elective that's coming up in palliative medicine.

I hope all of you are well. I hope and pray that you find individuals that will bring a bit of happiness to your life. And remember, don't go looking to far for something special in your life. the most special things in out lives are found by the people that surround you. It is found in spending a brief couple of moments with the people you love most in this worild. A son or daughter, a wife or husband , a mother or a father, or an old friend. This is the essence of happiness. It eludes us sometimes, bacause our minds are too fixed in our careers, but never forget this trasure that you might hvae in your home and Life.

God Bless

Dr.Mike

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home