An International Medical Graduate with USMLE SCORES: Step 1-78, Step 2 CK-79 Pre-Matched in 2008 to an Internal Medicine residency Program (categorical). There were 1700 applicants and only 9 positions, and I got one of them. This is a blog of My Residency Journey: a True Miracle of God

Friday, March 5, 2010

Day 560 Tips from a Program director

It was around 1:15pm in the afternoon when I over heard a conversation from two faculty members in the clinic. Interestingly enough, they were talking about this years match, and about the thousand applications they had just received. The conversation I heard went like this.

Attending: "there are so many applications, and they are all qualified. It so hard to just settle on a few."

program director: "I known what you mean. What I like to do is look over several important points in the CV. I don't really look over the transcript much, as I like to look at a few things. For instance, I like to look at how many letters of recommendation this person has. A lot of times you see someone that has accomplished so much, but only has 1 letter of recommendation. I would like to think that they have met more than one person in their life that can talk about what they have accomplished and what type of person they are. Also when it comes to the letter of recommendation. I like to see long letters of recommendation. I want someone that is talking and writing something meaningful about the application. I also pay some attention to the personal statement. I try to find something that makes them stand out in the personal statement. I want to see something different. Some new experience that I have not heard about. In general also, I like to sometimes see a long CV. I want to see what exactly they have been doing all this time."

I stood there really trying to grasp everything they were saying. I was actually in the room and they saw me there. They really didn't seem to mind that I was there standing. I really found these few tips helpful. I have spoken to this program director last year. You can find our other conversation following this link (http://thankyougodforresidency.blogspot.com/2008/10/dr-mikes-getting-into-residency-for-img.html)

I hope this helps someone. Good Luck this year. You can do it!!!!

God Bless

Dr.Mike

10 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Dr.Mike, your story seems so unreal. I was ECFMG certified in 2008 and still not seen a patient, i.e. no residency. This year I applied late and for the third time. In between years I did not apply. I didn't think there was a point. I have not taken step3. I plan on taking it next year. I'm currently in grad school. Graduated from med school in 2001, degree in 2002.
What else can I do? Most days I feel like a looser.
I trust in God. I am better than the israelites?! I am only human though. I never hear a story like yours. Only 99ers get into residency.

November 5, 2013 at 4:51 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Getting ready isn't just to acquire a predominant degree or support, it empowers us to fathom that regardless, we can enhance our life quality and this http://residencylor.com/ site besides life ordinary.

July 4, 2018 at 4:03 AM

 
Blogger Christopher Blevins said...

Preparing is not only to obtain a prevalent level or even assistance, this enables all of us in order to comprehend which irrespective, we are able to improve the existence high quality which http://www.fellowshippersonalstatements.com/best-fellowship-personal-statement-sample/ website apart from existence regular.

July 25, 2018 at 11:34 PM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

Some of the tips which you have been given in here are so effective but I think rest of those are not that much of use actually. http://www.medicalfellowship.net/how-to-get-postdoctoral-fellowship-write-a-winning-personal-statement/ for the students that is very helpful for the writing services.

July 26, 2018 at 5:54 AM

 
Blogger Unknown said...

in library we found many kind of books for great source of knowledge , if you want to know about biomedical grad school interview questions check it here http://www.phdstatementofpurpose.com/create-a-statement-of-purpose-for-physics-phd-programs-you-can-be-proud-of/ will give you some handy tips and guide to write your term and others academic papers.

July 26, 2018 at 7:23 AM

 
Blogger Tristan Millington said...

Such necessary information for the main aspects of MD residency requirements that are described here are able to be added for almost every paper of such type. Anyway, if you are looking for the necessity of creation of the paper, you are welcome to be the part of audience asking this company on the help. You can also check and correct every paper and part of it, so you will be happy to know the fact that it will be ready according to any type. That is the reason you are going to get assistance from the people who are ready to do it for you.

July 31, 2018 at 11:09 AM

 
Blogger hayat said...

Every person has its own perspective and opinion. These programs can be best for residency statement. You can also be part of the statement so have https://residencypersonalstatements.net/blog/2014/06/04/how-to-write-a-podiatry-personal-statement/ and try to write best possible statement.

August 15, 2018 at 9:37 AM

 
Blogger James K. Marcotte said...

This is a good site that help us in choosing best programs for further education. People also want one platform where you can get everything in it.

August 31, 2018 at 1:57 PM

 
Blogger CoryHales said...

Well, if the people are looking for the traits on such topic, you are welcome to be here http://sloty.com and to use the traits to it.

September 11, 2018 at 5:01 PM

 
Blogger Larry Smith said...

I am vicariously living through through your experience. I have just received my nursing school letter of recommendation. I look forward to my residence experience.

April 26, 2020 at 2:43 PM

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home